Monday, August 13, 2007

Collecting Woes

Most of this weekend was a waste of time for me. I spent most of the day Friday and Saturday on the road going from store to store trying to find two transformers I REALLY want and finding bupkiss.

Lets see I went to;

4 Meijers
4 Targets
2 Toys R Us
2 Kohls
& 1 KB Toys

And what do I have to show for it? An empty gas tank. }:- (

And what figures pray tell were I looking for? The first is the 2008 Concept Camaro version Bumblebee figure from the new movie. I have the 70's camaro version but the '08 was recently released and I wanted to get one at the store because on eBay they're going for 30+ dollars. If you can find one in the store they're only about 17 dollars. Now I think I know why I couldn't find one. Everyone's buying them up in the stores to sell on eBay!




The second figure was a long shot in the first place. It's the Titanium version of G1 Ultra Magnus. This figure was not released in stores when it came out 6-8 months ago. The only way to get it was from online toy dealers and the going price was $50. I wanted the figure terribly because it was the closest representation of the character in it's original 80's form. But I couldn't justify that high of a price for a figure from a series that retails for $16.


This is Ultra Magnus as he appeared in the 80's cartoon series.


As you can see this version of the toy is a very faithful translation of the charater.


Well, last week Target did their fall reset in the toy aisles and many people online reported finding the elusive Ultra Magnus figure! I was so geeked! I went online and found several locations near me and checked them two or three different times last week. But alas to no avail. :-(

The worst part? Even if I wanted to get the figures online now I probably can't all the online dealers sold out several weeks ago. So now BOTH of these bots will be added to my wish list of hard to find figures. Sadly this list is long as it is and their prices on Ebay will only continue to go up.

So to ease my woes I went to Hollywood Video and bought a bunch of used DVDs. (Which is just as stupid a waste of our hard earned money as the transformer toys I was looking for by the way.) But I'm the type that spends money when I'm depressed or mad and I was both so I got quite a few.

I bought;

Pan's Labyrinth


The Messengers


Slither


The Grudge 2


Feast


The Return


Miss Congeniality 2

(This last mostly for Stacey but hey I don't mind watching it, Sandra Bullock's cute! :P )

I'd have to say that the only part of my weekend that wasn't a waste of either time or money was going to church on Sunday and afterwards having lunch with my beautiful wife in Royal Oak.

4 comments:

Rain said...

Well If you tell me I am still your favorite Cuz I might just go look here in my town for those transformers for ya :) I am going to the store tomorrow so I will check out my walmart and see if we have them. I cant promise anything but I will write down the names and look.

Anonymous said...

Aw! Thanks Amy, I really appreciate that! I think it's so sweet you'd spend some of your time on me like this! I love you even if you don't find a thing sweetheart. And by the way Frankie said that he'll love you too just as soon as you get him that chocolate covered dog bone! :)

Rain said...

Im probably as disappointed as you I went to 2 walmarts, toys r us, Meijers and Target and they have all the others except Bumblebee the lady told me to check back in a week so keep your fingers crossed she might get more lol I will update you if I get it

Donnie said...

I appreciate you taking the time to check for me. It means a lot. This weekend I'm planning to check a couple of the stores again here also. I'll post if I find anything.