Thursday, August 2, 2007

Trusting God

An iteresting thing happened to my wife and I yesterday I want to tell you about.

I was layed off of work for the first two weeks of July. I didn't have any vacation time available to use for the extended time off so obviously that meant no pay for those two weeks. I suppose I could have tried to apply for unemployment but I was greatly distracted by a tooth ache at the time while trying to plan a trip to WV to see my dad.

So the way things worked out was that since we only get paid every two weeks at my shop, we have been about 5 weeks without a paycheck. My wife works as a nanny and we've been making due with her income but it's not enough what with gas prices so high and a mortgage to pay and such.

Last friday I began to get very frustrated with our situation. It feels like I'm working for nothing! I've been working the last 2 and a half weeks and were broke! I didn't want to say anything to my wife because I didn't want to burden her or maybe even start her worrying if she wasn't.

So last night Stacey came home from work in a bit of a mood and said almost exactly the same things to me that I had been feeling for the last week now. In some ways it was a relief to know I wasn't alone feeling this way. In another way it made me feel terrible! I feel like a failure as a provider because my wife has to be bothered with the money situation at all. I'm old fashioned and look at providing for the family monitarily as my responsibility.

I have no problem with Stacey working but I want it to be for her own personal gratification not because she has too. That's why I've already told her that as soon as we pay off the mortgage she can quit her job if she wants. Or look for something else she likes better and not worry about the pay rate.

Anyway I reminded Stacey that God would ultimately provide for us no matter what our work situations were. She said she already knew this and had just read that in the bible that morning during her devotional bible reading.

Well today she sent me a text message at work excited because she unexpectedly came into some extra funds! How's that for faithfulness? God knows our needs before we ask and already has provision for us.

Also, thank God, tomorrow is payday for me. I think things are going to continue to be tight for a few more weeks untill we get caught up on all the bills, but I really needed the added encouragement of God's help today.

Anyway I'm posting while on my lunch break, gotta go!

4 comments:

Rain said...

That is great :) And I know the feeling of barely making the bills seeing how I have not been working and only tim has and althought tim has little faith in god I know god will always provide for me and mine :) so it is great that you were reminded of his love in that way I am very happy for you and I know it will get easier soon for you love ya lots cuz :)

Anonymous said...

donnie...u apply for funinjoyment on line now... coulda did it at home takes 5 minutes

Anonymous said...

With the tooth ache and the trip I didn't even think about it until I was already back at work. :-( That was the first time I've had a tooth ache in YEARS! I forgot how bad they hurt.

Anonymous said...

Donnie,

It is about time you joined in on blogosphere. I am looking forward to reading your posts!